View Single Post
Old 2014-02-09, 00:27   Link #3520
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
This is well-put. I honestly don't think I would have liked Madoka Magica as much as I did if I didn't follow it as it was airing on a week-by-week basis.
I don't think it's a good show for marathoning, or even watching in 2/3 sittings of a few episode chunks each. For newcomers to the show, I'd encourage an episode a day approach (or even a slower consumption, if that works for a new viewer).

There's a lot of little subtle moments/lines in Madoka Magica that are liable to get missed or glossed over if someone marathons the show.

The actions and words of the main cast characters are very purposeful, very economical. So really getting the characters takes a careful "put your feet in their shoes" approach. This is easier, of course, if you're watching just one episode a week, and spend a fair bit of time thinking about each episode after you watch it.

I think this is why a fair number of viewers don't get the appeal and strength of the characters themselves - It is admittedly a bit easy to miss if you don't carefully think through their actions and try to figure out what is being said by them and why they're doing what they're doing.

It's the opposite of a long-running shounen, where I find watching in big clumps is the only way to avoid massive impatience and not get tired of how hard certain plot points/character traits get hammered home.