View Single Post
Old 2013-07-16, 22:24   Link #39
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
To clarify about the titles from last page, I think that some of them were done well. Celes for example was perfectly fine. It mainly those select few that were a bit strange to me. Any particular reason why they would choose to label Touko as 'writer' instead of 'author'?

Well, if you want to get real specific about it, her title in the original Japanese was "SHSL Literary Girl", which I believe suggests she was the bookish type in general. Though personally "writer" doesn't really bother me much.

Actually, going back to the SHSL thing for a bit, part of what makes the original translation so funny to me is that a bunch of those kid's abilities barely have anything (if at all) to do with high school. I mean, just what does stuff like good luck or fortunetelling have to do with high school in the first place? Last I recall, Hope's Peak wasn't described as being some kind of Japanese Hogwarts. And wouldn't being a biker leader make you more of a SHSL Dropout, which is kind of the OPPOSITE of representing the world's greatest hope?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote