View Single Post
Old 2012-08-18, 00:38   Link #4650
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"cool" or not, it is a jump above the average pocket camera
I like Pentax for many reasons. It was a concious choice to take the K-r over the Canon 550D or Nikon 3100 (the big two entry level SLRs at the time of my purchase). Sixty years worth of lenses available, and just better ergonomics, felt a lot better in my hands (plus was a little cheaper).

It is an SLR camera, which is clearly a step above phones or pocket cameras, yes. But with the prices DSLRs are falling to these days, there's no reason people shouldn't get one if they want to take better photos. I reached the limits that my compact P&S was capable of, and wanted something more flexible. For only a little more money than high end P&S, I could get an SLR, which then gave me the ability to swap lenses for different shooting conditions, so I went that route.

Now my K-r is EoL (no longer being manufactured; new upgraded model due soon) big stores are clearing their stocks, eg; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choic...ndingMethod=rr

Great value for a "real" camera system. And as I said, many hundreds of lenses spanning some sixty years available for it. The second hand market is strong, so it's easy to find well loved old lenses at bargain prices.

Anyway, a bit off topic. But I did get my camera primarily for shooting figures. Though I get pictures of my animals, and have dabbled with macro, now experimenting with astrophotography. But still mostly figure shooting.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote