View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 11:00   Link #43
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In other words, the main character really is a bit "wussy" starting out (although not necessarily much worse than your average person would be), and then the character gradually gets stronger and more "badass" over time. The problem with this approach is that first impressions die hard, and once a character is viewed as a wuss it can be very hard for him or her to ever overcome that (I think of some of the criticisms that Guilty Crown's Shu and PMMM's Madoka have faced).
I agree Shu is an awful character. But then I think Kirito is as well, who I guess people might describe as badass (although I am not sure about that as I stay away from most SAO threads).

Madoka is a bit different though. She is very far from my favorite character but as a device in the story she is interesting. The story centers around her and she doesn't do very much to the end except observe. I think it is an interesting way to present the "main character".

But the best character shouldn't be defined in one way is what I am getting at. A well written character should be neither a wuss or a bad ass. In fact at moments in the story they can be both. You want to see a character have flaws and growth.

I do think some fans come down on weaker characters too hard. Those type of characters tend to have the most potential for growth. It is not always done well, but when it is it can be a rewarding character arc.