View Single Post
Old 2008-07-17, 04:33   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hmmm, Even never buying into hype and such, somehow to me the animation doesn't seem as up to snuff with this one as other people are claiming. Maybe I've just been watching to much Macross Frontier and just watched Bonen No Xamdou, but given Kyoani's reputation for overwhelming budget busting animation I sort of expected more. I wonder if they can even truly be considered the best animators out there any more as well not that I think such a thing is measurable as animation quality will always vary.

Also the scene with low colour while probably meant to be expressive in some manner also strikes me as an attempt to save money as well. Maybe I'm also just a bit bored with Kyoto Animations character designs as well. Who knows. Something is just not adding up here. As much as I am a frequent critic of their style of comedy and storytelling I still normally can normally say at the end of the day that I think they've put the maximum effort into the animation department. Today I don't think I can though.

Anywho, what I can say is that at the end of the day they came to work, did their adaptation and went home. Of course the episode is in the half hour format and as such it can't be considered a true arc, but if you piece together everything that has come before it in the TV Series then I'm sure one can construct a longer narrative for themselves. I can assume that the decision to do a Tomoyo OVA stems from the overwhelming popularity (that I personally can't understand) of the character and a desire to please that set of fans. Kyoani knows their audience and knows it well, unfortunately I'm still on the fringe it, but I know when I'm not the target now and will embrace it for what it is. Can't say it changed my mind about the rest of the series though which remains good, but nothing groundbreaking for me.

Just as a question of curiousity, shouldn't Kyoani consider a Kyou OVA? I mean that character also seems crazy popular and if she's skipped over then the Kyou fanboys will fight with the Tomoyo fanboys and then with Kyoani and then holy smokes there goes a group of fans posting on 2ch about how Kyoani screwed them! I wouldn't screw with these type of Otaku. I don't know what Kyoani is thinking but I'll give them that they are brave if a little brash.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-17 at 04:57.