View Single Post
Old 2013-03-22, 18:56   Link #6
kuromitsu

So! Last episode... what a ride it has been. Warning, this is going to be long. (I'm tempted to use the tl;dr tag...)

The OK, the good and the great, in no particular order...

Spoiler for YESSS:

The grumbling, or rather, stuff I just don't get...
Spoiler for the "akki":

Spoiler for the usual:

Spoiler for Shun and the last part:

About the overall tone of the episode...
Spoiler for novel comparison, I guess:

Anyway...

Before the subs come out and the thread eventually descends into chaos XD;; I'd just like to say that as much as I groused about some changes in the last arc, I think this was, hands down, one the strongest anime I've ever seen, even with its flaws. It's quite unlike anything I've seen before - sure, much of that is due to the source material. But there's also:
- the visuals - sure, it was made on a very tight budget but even so there are some striking visuals in this show (quite a number of them in this last episode), and there was of course the first ending sequence that was simply awesome. There were also some nice camera angles, visual ideas, etc.
- the designs - I've heard people hating on the character designs, but I think they worked well, and the character designer should get into fashion stat.
Spoiler for last part of the episode:

And I really loved how they designed the various creatures in the world - the minoshiro, the fujouneko, etc.
- the music - everyone loves that haunting bgm that plays during key scenes, but the rest is pretty nice, too - not flashy, but it does what a BGM needs to do. The first ending, Wareta ringo that was simply awesome. (Let's just forget about the second ED.)
- the seiyuu - the voice acting was brilliant. Namikawa Daisuke is the star here, sure, but Taneda Risa, Kaji Yuuki, and the rest of the cast also did a fantastic job. (This fall/winter season seems to have the theme of "voice actors doing something I wouldn't have expected them to be good at" - Namikawa Daisuke as Squealer, Fukuyama Jun as Marian in Ixion Saga, and Suwabe Junichi as Inaba in Cuticle Detective Inaba.)

All in all, I'm happy that I met this anime. I'm glad the sponsors were willing to invest money in this, even though they must have known that it wouldn't be much of a success (or at all, as the case might be), and that despite everything the production team seemed to do their best at all times in spite of the budget, the time and the difficult to adapt source material. In the end, Shinsekai yori had flaws, including questionable writing/directorial decisions, but it was a powerful show, and it will stay with me for a long time.

Oh! and one more thing.
I'd like to take the opportunity to give a shout-out to the person who, during all these months, faithfully kept copying my Shinsekai yori posts and posting them as their own at the MAL forums. Hi, plagiarist! ^o^)/

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-03-23 at 06:28.