Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-15, 07:37   Link #3836
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Far as I can tell, you've only been confused by two terms in this thread: BGR (Which, as it turns out, isn't Japanese at all), and tsundere, the only Japanese term that's really been used here, which you figured out yourself almost right away from the context. I think you might be overreacting just a little bit here, ma'am.
Not really, it's been mentioned before as to why it can be off putting, especially to relate a general dating thread to categorised labels deriving from anime, or more specially:
Quote:
Tsundere (ツンデレ?) (Japanese pronunciation: [tsɯndeɽe]) is a Japanese character development process which describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing their warm side over time. The word is derived from the terms Tsun Tsun (ツンツン?) , meaning to turn away in disgust, and Dere Dere (デレデレ?) meaning to become 'lovey dovey'.[1] Originally found in Japanese bishōjo games, the word is now part of the otaku moe phenomenon,[2] reaching into other media such as maid cafes,[2] anime, manga, novels, and even mass media.[citation needed] The term was made popular in the game Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
It's an entire new vocab set to adapt to based of a minor sector of the anime genres.
For a thread which applies to all of us, in our teens, in our 20's, 30's and older, from all over the world as well as into different kinds of anime/manga (not all of which fall into the moe, cute, shojo genre)
Just to use terms which are generally universal makes for easier reading and relation to each person's post, kinda like why we shouldn't all break out into other typical Japanese anime words like 'she's so kawaii' 'that's so sugoi', 'yare yare' or 'taku mou'
Or why このフォラムにromajiとか日本語で書くのは大体駄目です。
(And so on...)

I've heard this term (and the words in this character definition shojo set) floating about cyberspace for well over half a year. I realise it's a "useful" term to use since it encompasses a certain character set (to those who get this or know the character references well from the shoujo anime that they watch) into one word, but we're on about offline dating here with real people, situations and characters outside of constructed scenarios from someone's imagination to depict a story (in other words an anime series).

If these terms were being used for any of the anime threads in the anime forum, I'd keep my mouth shut, it's related to the series, it's fine. Shoujo as a genre has certain character development styles which play off these terms created for them.
But for a general chat forum where most of the topics are global, general topics outside of anime, relating to offline situations and real people living their everyday lives, it'll help if communication was kept as universal as possible.

That's where I'm coming from in relation to the term usuage. The rest of my post was for Saintess, I was curious about his constant 2D reference of women to real women offline whenever he writes in here and wondered where his stance was with females that weren't hand drawn and animated.

Should you wanna debate/hash over it some more, I'll hit up your profile wall for a reply just to keep this thread on track in some kinda of dating related form.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote