View Single Post
Old 2011-06-15, 15:23   Link #135
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is a tangential philosophical point, but I disagree with the implicit argument made by some other posters here that being an adult means calmly accepting injustice, or rejecting one's ideals.
I think I was rather explicit, so you should have called me out specifically. But if others are making the argument... maybe there's some merit to crushing childhood idealism?

Quote:
No, adults can choose to maintain their ideals and fight against what they perceive as injustice. It's just that adults are typically more realistic about the odds of success in such endeavors than adolescents and kids are.
I'd love to respond to this, but some random American writer already has so I'll just regurgitate his thoughts.

"At 18 our convictions are hills from which we look; At 45 they are caves in which we hide."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
Oh, wait. Apparently I can't read.
Eh, happens to me all the time.

Quote:
That doesn't really change what I said. Saying "he's in love" doesn't mean he wasn't being so roundabout that he never actually arrived at his destination (at least not before the girl he loves told him "I have no choice but to leave for the next three years"). I don't think anyone would ever turn to their best friend and say "we've been best friends for years - are you secretly in love with me?"
Confessing to someone is not an easy task. It probably took Ko years to summon up enough courage just to confess - Ohana's departure was the tipping point. According to Ko himself, he does everything in a roundabout way, not just love. He nearly drew the courage to visit Ohana, but gave up at the last second and went back to Tokyo. If you're criticizing Ko's personality for not making any sense, then my response is some people are illogical. But at least Ko's trying his hardest to make up for his roundabout methodology - Ohana simply leaves him hanging with no response.