View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 00:02   Link #32360
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormin View Post
The problem is that the characters in umineko unarguably posses the necessary level of intelligence to see the problems of illegal gold. In this way the entire "motive for killing because gold" becomes bit sketchy even though I strongly believe ryu meant it as possible motive for the killer.
I see that element as well and I think Ryukishi was mostly trying to make the point that even the most intelligent, moral people at the same time possess a horrible and lust driven side.

The gold is only the central element in this. You could also make a good argument that Kyrie would never actually kill Asumu because it would be stupid. She was obviously the only one to gain from it and she had left the Sumadera clan far enough behind that they would likely not back her if she is accused of a murder that only benefits her. Still the story drives it forward that this element of being beaten by Asumu drove her so out of her mind that she was clearly to a certain degree insane. She wasn't a drooling madwoman incapable of rational thinking, but this part about her was very much mad.
The same for Natsuhi when impulsively shoving the servant through the railing or Rosa when she beats Maria.

I think this is mostly about showing that an extreme situation creates extreme reactions. I would agree that the adults are often drawn to reasonable to just go for the gold alone.

On the other hand we often forget that it was an element in the story that "they did not find any conclusive evidence that would have incriminated Eva (or anybody else for that matter". This could lead us to think that it was maybe even possible to expect that no evidence would be found, at least in the world of Umineko.
Sure we can question whether that would actually be a reasonable thing to assume in our reality, but this is how it is established in the story and to a certain degree we have to work with this.

Yet on the other hand there are plenty of cases in the real world that make you wonder why they remain unsolved and you could make an endless amount of theories about.
Take the Keddie Murders
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote