View Single Post
Old 2011-11-13, 17:53   Link #2120
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just the serial killer they rescued in episode 04. Also several amusing things about that preview include:

- Shu running face first into Gai's spastic fist flailing
- Gai running face first into a big duds spastic fist flailing
- Tsugumi bending and making all sorts of cutesy poses (basically her entire character so far)
- Daryl Yan wigging out with eyes bulging massively.
- Inori being shown from a low angle full body shot (naturally) dual wielding pistols gansta style.

This show literally just cannot have a female character on screen without having her in some sort of vaguely sexual pose that highlights all their curves and exposed areas and it's kind of amusing. It's like the sleaziest easiest fanservice that you don't even have to ask for and as I said it's like the majority of the female characters development so far 6 episodes in.
Yes, I know what you mean, and I'll admit that I myself find it a bit amusing (as well as those preview shots you referred to, lol).

But honestly, I kind of like this new approach to fanservice, in that it's simply there. Like, there's no "boing" sounds, there's usually no character pointing it out for us as though the audience can't notice it without verbal aids, there's no jiggling to an unrealistic degree, and when certain body parts are focused on it's usually because they're relevant to the scene and/or help to capture a certain atmospheric mood.

I actually kind of like this fanservice. It is, as you say, "easy". And perhaps for that reason, it seems a bit more seamless to me.

Remember how you once took note of lengthy shots of girls' legs in Madoka Magica? Well, it's kind of like that to me, only more elaborate and varied of course. An easy sort of fanservice that works because it's not loud and obnoxious.

Also, I'd argue that Ayase is the most well-developed protagonist thus far, and it's neck-and-neck between her and Major Segai for the most well-developed character thus far. So hey, at least Guilty Crown's writers aren't entirely relying on sex appeal to sell their female characters.