View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 23:44   Link #104
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Most people that were Sailor Moon fans back in the 90s, and are now anime fans, are also Madoka and/or Nanoha fans. The overlap is substantial. That's my experience, at least, as a fan of all three franchises and magical girl anime in general.

Now, of course there are people who were big Sailor Moon fans back in the 90s and aren't even into anime at all any more (heck, I personally know a fair number of people like this, including my own sisters). But getting that audience back with them now being adults isn't necessarily going to be easy.

I think that adults in general are less tolerant of things like "Monster of the Week" than young kids are.

Thankfully, it sounds like the manga has quicker pacing than the anime did, so hopefully the "Monster of the Week" element won't drag on too much anyway.

I am not a Sailor Moon fan so I look at it more from the outside perspective, but Sailor Moon is a huge franchise that doesn't need to appeal to the male fandom of magical girl series. I am not saying a lot of Madoka fans don't like Sailor Moon & vice versa but Sailor Moon is huge in itself. My friends who are not anime fans know what Sailor Moon is, they have no clue what Madoka is and that's the difference. That might change over time but that is how it is now.

We can see this quite clearly with how much the manga is selling around the world. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

As for MOTW, I think most older & seasoned fans don't like it but I don't think they should remove it for Madoka/Nanoha fans when that is not the target audience of Sailor Moon.