View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 21:58   Link #329
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

I'm agnostic with a preference for aetheism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar
I can't think of one good reason why I would want to have a religion?
For moral inspiration and guidance. And, in the case of Christians, to witness the glory promised by Jesus Christ. It's hard to describe the experience of witnessing to someone who doesn't believe in Christ.

Regardless, that is not an excuse to insult Christians (or any other religious person) for believing in silly "fairy-tales". Whether or not a religious person is "silly" depends on that person's actions, and not necessarily on his religion, which he may have misunderstood or misapplied.

Do you need a rational reason to believe? Sometimes yes, but not all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzer
What I said before is correct, followers of religion will seek salvation through virtue, most religions believe this is the path to God, will an agnostic or athestic person strive to follow this attitude as fervently? probably not.
This argument has bothered me for a very long time, the idea that individuals without religion have no ability to distinguish between right and wrong, good and evil. I can tell you quite confidently today that this argument is categorically wrong, for the simple reason that I know the distinction, and yet I have no religion.

I shall not go further than that. As monir has pointed out, this is likely to be a highly emotional issue, so I don't want to raise a ruckus over matters of belief. This thread is meant for sharing your beliefs. Discussions or disagreements ought to be taken to PMs.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote