View Single Post
Old 2012-05-18, 10:27   Link #230
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From the ratings thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I wonder if it wasn't a strategic mistake to run Apollon first. Tsuritama is certainly weird, but I think it actually has a broader appeal than the moodier show before it. I know Apollon had all the Watanabe-Kanno hype, but to be honest, that might matter more outside Japan than it does with the contemporary domestic anime audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I don't think it was necessarily a bad gamble to have Apollon as the first batter. It wasn't only promoted with the Watanabe/Kanno angle, but also quite a few times as the "return of a music show on noitaminA, after Nodame Cantabile".
If I had started watching with the expectation of seeing another Nodame Cantabile, I'd have been very disappointed. Sakamichi no Apollon isn't anywhere near as humorous, doesn't have a dashing male protagonist like Chiaki, and is based on a musical genre which I suspect is more foreign to Japanese viewers than classical. Not having young adults as the characters, along with Sentarou's propensity for fisticuffs, might have discouraged some viewers as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-26 at 12:13.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote