Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-15, 04:13   Link #181
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Karuta"'s right there in the name of the club. The second years want to participate, even if they have different priorities, and those priorities aren't "raising the first years". And they train seriously. The first years just want to gawk at Taichi, and are noisy and unpleasant about it.
Funny how they had to be kicked and dragged into the club on their introductions.
And now they don't care an ounce for new members.
That's just as rude and unpleasant especially considering their "humble" beginnings.
Does it really matter they're joining because of Taichi?
What was Taichi's reason for helping to form the karuta club in the first place...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She's not looking for love. She's looking for bragging rights.
*cries over a poem* -> ... "So I must live for love!"
"Mashima-senpai will never choose me. I won't accept it" (the context was about devotion/love).
Is Sumire giving crocodile tears to herself?
If it was just bragging rights, she could just quit and pick an easier "target" because Mashima implied she doesn't stand a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I kinda deviate the discussion from comparing Sumire and Taichi to wondering why others bach Taichi. and yes, I completely agree that Taichi is the "tragic handsome boy"

It seems you really believe Taichi will be considered creepy if he is not good looking. Have you watch School Rumble? Do you consider Hanai Haruki creepy? He is average to good looking (not as good looking as Taichi, I will admit), good at sports and study (just like Taichi) and very creepy in my opinion. Compare to him Taichi is the ideal guy. As many others said, Taichi is harmless (Chihaya certainly don't mind him being around) while most females dislike having a creepy guy around (Yakumo dislike Hanai around)
Nah, what I was trying to get at was that people can tolerate more when the person is better looking/popular (and yes, I admit being a hypocrite from time to time, as well). Taichi borders the fine line of creepy/non-creepy, yet the writers/mangaka clearly knows how to keep him just within the non-creepy side to the point where people says he's a such a good person. I would say if he looked like, say, Tsutomu, people would be more critical of his actions.
Actually, Chihaya being completely oblivious also helps the situation in his favor.

Interesting you bring up School Rumble (that brings back memories...).
If I recall correctly, Hanai was purposely portrayed creepier around Yakumo (it was the multiple attempts to kiss her, and a few other things?).
But Harima? He's a lovable character, yet on paper, you'd call him a creep for stalking Temna multiple times (the other oblivious girl).

The end result of Taichi's actions ends up being "harmless", but there have been a few temptations to shaft Arata out (not talking just about the love perspective; from a friendship/teammate perspective which Arata yearns for), which don't pan out because of Chihaya or Arata rectify the situation.
The whole love triangle is poison (let's blame Chihaya instead ).
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote