View Single Post
Old 2011-07-15, 17:58   Link #455
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
He's just out of his element. It's not only the moral issue of stalking the girls, but the whole thing with the crazy penguin chick and the penguindrum seems like some weird shit he just can't accept. Unlike his brother, he's too down to earth for all that crazy fantasy stuff, and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's probably a good thing if you think about it.

At any rate, he'll get used to it. And maybe, in turn, his brother will start to be a bit more wary of the situation. Kanba seems a little too accepting of all this weird stuff, and to me that's bigger problem that Shoma whining a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But that's the point: Himari shouldn't be alive! And even though Shoma is truly happy about it, he can't help to think there's something wrong with it. And that's a good thing, because there is something wrong with it! Or what do you think all those references to the Night On The Milky Way Train are there for? I mean, we're talking about a novel which has "coming to terms with a loved one's death" as a freaking main theme, and that's totally opposite to the premise of this show. Don't you think referencing a novel that goes against the series' premise is a little strange? Don't you think it might be a clue that Shoma's doubts about this whole thing are somewhat justified???
I don't think Kanba's "too accepting"; he's simply eager to do absolutely anything to keep Himari alive, whatever it takes. This ultimately seems in line with his intensely repressed sexual desire for Himari, if we're right about that. Kanba's the one who thinks he is going against fate to the extent that he might even be un-human, so essentially it makes sense that he might be a person who will discard all remaining reservations.

Shou, by contrast, indeed does seem like he is more concerned with "how messed up this all is". In his opening monologue, he basically complains about how fate isn't fair--and it's also in his voice that we hear about, from the future, how things will be terrible and they'll come to regret the price they paid. Kanba is simply willing to pay anything--because for him, Himari is above everything else. Shou, compared to how he first felt in ep. 1's monologue, might eventually come to 'accept fate' and stop Kanba, telling him to accept Himari's passing. However, for the moment, since Shou and Kanba don't actually know anything bad's happening, I agree with Anh Minh that Kanba comes off as a much more powerful and competent character (seriously--they're twins?! Kanba seemed to me like he was ages ahead in terms of maturity).