View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 21:56   Link #2909
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You can't squeeze a pair of boobs and expect to be smothered to near death by it every day - there will come one day when it will no longer be as firm and plump as it was.
Never underestimate the power of science! Or put another way, never doubt the ability of a business to take something considered useless and turn it into something considered useful.

I don't get the whole idol thing, but that's a cultural difference. The closest thing that exists in the US is stuff like boy/girl bands (which come and go in popularity) and a few manufactured pop stars who get a few hits and then vanish until television needs a show about washed up has beens.

However I don't think it is fair to criticize the fans of idols too much. America has their own perverse idol worship as well. The celebrity culture drip feed is a multibillion dollar business, complete with entire media outlets dedicated to them. Paparazzi have a shameful history of being shameless in the intrusion of the private lives of public figures. It's sad that people have forgotten Princess Diana so quickly, but she's not the first or last. For example, I find the whole celebrity pregnancy fetish completely assnine. If I could ban "baby bump" from the human lexicon, I would.

But, there are certain images that the public expects out of their public figures, and packaging matters greatly. Just like you sell yourself as a package in a job interview, so too do these girls as pop idols.

That isn't to say that I agree with it, and I carry the opinion that the illusion of celebrity packaging is poisonous culturally and destructive of lives, but that is the world we live in, and for now, it's part of the deal when you're in the public spotlight.