View Single Post
Old 2013-03-19, 00:26   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 702 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Oda was unexpectedly sick last week, but it he's back now (and with an early spoiler to boot)! Credit goes to Aohige for the spoiler translation:

-Chapter title is "Corrida Colosseum". The ministory reveals that the soldiers are revolutionaries, and their flag shows a likeness of their leader's son.... who looks like a mix between Che Guevara and Caribou.

-The blind man from last chapter tells the restaurant owner he'll handle the bill for the damages he caused. Interestingly, the owner seems to recognize his true identity. Luffy, interested in the old man's strength, asks who he is. The blind man replies that he's better off keeping his silence on that matter. Suddenly, the people in the restaurant realize that their belonging went missing.... and one of said belongings in question is Zoro's Shuusui!

-One of the toys claim that fairies were the thieves, but Zoro senses the actual their running away. He, Sanji, and Kinemon chase after the robber, and while Luffy is ready to join them, Franky has other ideas. He apprehends one of the thugs who tried to cheat the blind man and along with Luffy, interrogate him for the Smile factory's location. The thug doesn't know about that, but he DOES know that Dofla's officers are holding a special tournament at the colosseum, which has a special prize.....

-At the aforementioned Colosseum, people from all over the island are gathered. The announcer reveals that the prize of this tournament will be.... the Mera Mera fruit! Powerful people from all around the NW are gathered at the tournament, and we're also introduced to the officers from Dofla's crew who are participants: Senior Pink (fat guy with sunglasses and baby pacifier), dellinger (younger guy wearing a cap), Lao G (that one old geezer we saw before), Machvise (the other fat dude from Dofla's crew we saw before), and Diamante, the hero of the collsseum we saw a couple chapters back. Interestingly, it seems that the blind man is part of the tournament's audience. Back at the restaurant, Luffy just learns from the thug about his deceased brother's fruit being the prize in the tournament.....!!!

Interesting, so Dofla's plan is to give away the fruit in a tournament, eh? Honestly, I'm not too wild about tournament arcs (mainly because of how overdone they are), but I'm confident that Oda will handle it well. And at least, I'm interested in seeing more of the fighters gathered there (maybe we'll see some interesting faces there, both old AND new! ). And I'm kinda not surprised that the blind man didn't reveal his identity yet, though I'm wondering if he'll decide to join that tournament as well, in due time......

Also, I really wonder if that sword thief will go to either the arena or the smile factory? Unless the arena IS the factory.....?

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-03-19 at 16:34.