View Single Post
Old 2008-08-11, 11:46   Link #1122
magnuskn

Cross-posted this to Macrossworld ( in their episode 18 thread, as somehow the whole "What is Sheryls past" discussion wandered to there.

Well, letīs see if I can cook up something which sounds half-way probable. ^^

- Sheryl is related to Mao Nome. Her last name and her blood type ( Alpha Bombay ) make this a vague, yet not improbable connection.

- Sheryl looks very identical to Ranshe Mei. This could be simply be put down to inattention of the character design team, but so far they have given us very distinct characters and the show has made very few errors in its storytelling. So I count this as a probability that Ranshe Mei is somehow related to Mao Nome, but not Sheryls mother.

- In that vein, Sheryl clearly is not a direct member of Ranshe Meis family, as she wasnīt shown in any picture or flashback featuring Ranka.

- If Sheryl was a relative of Mao Nome, it stands to reason that she was on the 117th Research Fleet. Obviously, that would make her a survivor of the self-same. My presumption is that she was transferred to Macross Galaxy as a refugee. There she landed on the street after some time, because nobody cared much about a refugee from another fleet.

- This also would be an explanation how she got infected with the V-Type disease, maybe she got wounded by a Vajra during the attack on the 117th.

- As a counterpoint, Sheryl remembers herself being a lonely orphan on Galaxy, as can be seen in her short memory flashback during episode 6 ( picture a few posts above ). This memory could have been faked, as it was shown very stylized. Although it could very well be argued that it is a traumatic memory of her past.

- Grace could very well have been watching Sheryl, waiting for the perfect moment to offer her everything Sheryl could have asked for.

Now, because I donīt want to only present my side, Iīll take on some points made by people who donīt like my little hypothesis and some doubts of mine about it.

- Sheryl is Fairy-9. Therefore it stands to reason that there were eight other "Fairys" before her. Nothing is known as to their identity and their final fate. Although it probably wasnīt a nice end.

- Sheryl could well have been infected with the V-Type disease by Grace after she was picked up in the alley. Only because she was checked into the hospital doesnīt mean that she already had the disease then.

- The childhood memory of Sheryl has been deemed an "obviously fake" one by some people in the past. As it is a very stylized one, it could well be so.

- Sheryl thinks her earrings are keepsakes from her mother. Now, how would a street urchin possess obviously valuable earrings such as those? In Sheryls flashback in episode 18 we see the earrings as they probably were given to her by Grace.

- Those hints taken together could very well indicate that Sheryl really *was* a street urchin, but got a personality implant, maybe a cosmetic touch-up ( to look more like Ranshe Mei, for whatever reason... maybe Grace had the hots for Ranshe? ) and then infected by the V-Type disease by Graces faction. That also could explain why her last name is "Nome" and maybe even how she got Alpha Bombay blood... I wouldnīt put it past Graces faction to be able to exchange a persons blood type.

If it is that, expect even more soul-searching from Sheryl as soon as she gets wind of that. Her whole identity would be fake.