View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 08:04   Link #36
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I've posted this before in similar threads, but like others, I grew up watching Speed Racer, Starblazers(The American title for Space Battleship Yamato), Astro Boy, Battle of the Planets (the American title for Science Ninja Team Gatchaman), and even a bit of Voltron(which I absolutely hated btw).

Also, like others, I didn't know I was watching anime.

It was Robotech, or more specifically, The Macross Saga that hooked me. I still remember the discovery quite clearly. It was spring, 1985, I was 16 and I had just come from school and was going through the channels looking for something to watch when I saw Minmay trying to shoo away the soda vending robot. I stuck with the channel, watched the rest of the show. My mind was quite literally blown and I was hooked. It was far and away better than anything else offered on American TV.
Somewhat the same story for me
I'll give Credit where it's due: it was Robotech
It took me the first steps into the world wide web (1995-ish roughly 10 years later)
to find out that it actually was called 'Super Dimensional Fortress Macross' , quite heavily edited and the whole 'mess' behind it

This show was so awesome, it replaced Transformers as my favorite show (admittingly, 'dumped' into the Transformers G2 series without seeing the movie wasn't helping its popularity)

It took about 14 years before I finally saw the original