View Single Post
Old 2013-10-27, 16:18   Link #87
KoiYuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
The names for the official translation are still hit and miss. The biggest miss is definitely Ishimaru, in my opinion. Moral Compass, what. Togami as "Ultimate Affluent Progeny" is pretty bad, too. It's so clunky sounding, even if it's accurate. "Ultimate Fanfic Creator" for Yamada is awful, considering that they could have gone with "Ultimate Fan Comic Creator" so easily.
On top of that Ishimaru one, it makes no sense, because we do have hall monitors here and we know what they are. At least make his talent school-related, like "prefect" or something. It doesn't make sense for a 'moral compass' to do morning exercises with the villain that trapped them all there to kill each other.

"Affluent Progeny" does sound ridiculous too. I kind of like "Heir" or even "Scion" better; it's short and to the point, and also has that slight air of "how is that a talent?", making his free-time events where he explains it more interesting.

I'll always stick with Super High School Level. It gets the whole point across, and Super Duper High Schooler sounds TOO silly, and grammatically awkward. Ultimate is just kind of boring, and it doesn't really make sense to me why they shorted it to that. Even "Ultimate High School" would've worked. Just more surprised they didn't go with either the fandom name (SHSL) or the fansub name (SDHS).

Imo, the good:
Clairvoyant
Gambler
Programmer
Fashionista (encompasses "gal" much better than something like "model" would)
Martial Artist

The middle:
Writing Prodigy (just call her a "writer"..)
Pop Sensation ("Sensation" makes it sound less like a talent and more like a fad, "pop star" would've worked)
Baseball Star ("player">"star")
Swimming Pro (again with the unnecessary word after the talent)
Biker Gang Leader (I feel like it could've been something like "biker gangster")

The bad:
Affluent Progeny (explained above)
Fanfic Creator (changes the talent, I understand why, but it's an anime game, I think people will understand "Fan-Comic Creator" or something)

Too many unnecessary words in a lot of those. I feel like adding "pro" and "prodigy" and "star" (except in the case of maybe something like what Maizono does, that's a different meaning) makes it all really redundant. Yeah, that works in lieu of a SHSL title, where it's definitely silly, but they don't do it with everyone, so it defeats the point. Not to mention they don't even have the same word. Ultimate Pop Star, Ultimate Baseball Star, Ultimate Writing Star... it would sound dumb, but it'd be more correlative, I guess.

I can't help but wonder what Naegi and Kirigiri will end up with (as long as it isn't that awful "Luckster" title...).
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote