View Single Post
Old 2008-10-06, 05:42   Link #74
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, here's my assessment:

Main Points

Storyline: 9/10. Although the plot twists got so numerous as to be somewhat ridiculous, I still enjoyed them immensely. This had so many OMGWTF moments it is incredible. Usually at least one WTF moment per episode. I mean, it takes an extraordinary script writer to put in that many twists. Other than that, the entire series has a wonderful kind of circularity to it, and most ends are tied up at the end. I thought that the way it ended complimented the way it began. In my opinion, Code Geass R2 for me was how S1 should have been.

Animation: 10/10. Though a few times it had me scratching me head because some of the character models looked a bit too thin, for the most part it was a beautifully high-quality anime from beginning to end. One would be hard pressed to find an anime that has such a consistent high quality animation standard. Yes, there was occasional wild distortions (usually in facial expressions), but a lot less than most anime, and far less ridiculous when it comes right down to it.

Character Design/Development: 8/10. Though lelouch mainly drives the show, I did like a ton of secondary characters. However, when the final few episodes came around, I was disappointed when I found out exactly how flat a lot of the secondary characters turned out to be (e.g. Toudou, Cornelia). They were still significant components to the story, though.

Voice Acting: 9/10. Again, I think for me Lelouch had the most compelling voice out of the entire cast, but I think everyone played their parts well. I have no complaints, really. No one can portray emotion quite like original Japanese voice actors.

Editing: 8/10. Though for the most part it was very good, a few times they had a tendency in between episodes to change to a drastically different pacing, such as moving from a battle scene at the end of one episode to a World of C at the start of the next one (as an example).

Other Stuff

Opening Song/Animation: 10/10. OP 2. I love it. I even got the song to put on my iPod, lol.

Ending Song/Animation: 4/10. Everyone has an OP or ED they really don't like, and this was it for me. I always skipped it.

Final Comments

Overall: 9/10. Not quite perfect, but darn close enough. I really liked the ending too, even though it surprised me quite a bit. A lot of people don't like the fact that Lelouch died, but I thought it was fitting given the direction of the storyline.