View Single Post
Old 2013-02-22, 12:38   Link #115
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
^I think you have your own definition for what underdog means...

underdog: (1) a person who is expected to lose in a contest or conflict. (2) a victim of social or political injustice

both describe naruto perfectly during the first part of the series that we are discussing
I didn't know the second definition. For that I cannot argue. But, the first is, as I've said several times now, false (for the various reasons I've outlined). Naruto may have been expected to lose, but there was actually no reason to expect his lose (just stupid characters being stupid, or, for the younger generation, characters that didn't know any better). I'm not even talking about a meta analysis of a series named Naruto, I'm talking about the simply fact that every Jinchuuriki is absurdly powerful (even if we only knew of the two in Part I), so anyone that expected Naruto to be different was just being stupid for no real reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I think the problem here is a question of definition, being an underdog doesn't mean you aren't likely to win (ie playing the odds) it's about being expected to lose.
Of course one should follow the other in a logical world but that's not the case here so even if all those people had to be complete moron to expect Naruto to lose given his Jinchuuriki status and track record the fact remains that they did expect him to lose which make him the underdog by definition.
Fair enough. It is an extreme asspull in my opinion that only works by literally dumbing down the characters (and consequently the audience).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote