Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-02, 13:53   Link #779
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Perhaps that is as close as they can get to glorifying their own exploits in WW2 without being seen to glorify them?
Unlikely, as many themes portrayed are often as remote from the Japanese experience as it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I hasten to add that I think both countries, from a military point of view, were admirably effective.
There may be a circle of fans who would be enthusiastic about the weapons utilized by the Japanese army in WWII (mostly for sentimental values), but I don't recall an instance where someone would make a claim that they were superior to either German or American arms. To bring this closer to topic, nobody would make a claim that Japanese tanks were superior than their allied or German counterpart.

As for efficiency... I don't want to offend anyone here, but honestly, the standard of the Nationalist Army wasn't very high. Its not a wonder the Japanese Army appeared more efficient. The best Nationalist troops were the German trained divisions, most of which were lost due to attrition during the battle of Shanghai. They also had little to no tank support, with a majority of Chinese armored vehicles being of the Vickers or Panzer I variant.

Once the Japanese army begin to resist against the American counterattack, its almost too easy to note the disparity between the two forces, where in a majority of cases, you have a pretty lopsided win for the Americans.

Consider what the Japanese infantry were given. A bolt action rifle supported by machinegun teams carrying a bulky weapon that was often complicated to setup and with nothing in between. Whereas the Americans were equipped with semi-auto Garands, Thomson submachine guns, and portable .50 cals. The comparison between armor is even more drastic. The Shermans weren't the toughest tanks in the European theater, but not a single Japanese AT weapon or tank had the reliability and power to deal with them. If it wasn't for jungles and unfamiliar terrain, the Japanese army would not have been able to resist as long as they have.

But as always, anything military German is pretty much teh cool or teh standard by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
@Tak lol is that real... but can't say it's surprising
Yes, yes it is. This was aired on TV, man!

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2012-11-02 at 14:30.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote