View Single Post
Old 2011-10-22, 09:09   Link #1028
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Watched Episode 2 just now.

Any similarities drawn between Code Geass and this show are now fairly baseless. Glad that's out of the way.

Still, I am dropping this show. Not feeling that great about it, but Episode 2 really put me off this show. Here's why:

1. My fears Inori really is the submissive type willing to be used as a tool and treated like a sex-object by the creators of this show came true. That scene in the ventilation duct was so uncalled for - there are times for fanservice, but the particular timing was just SO wrong and it was demeaning to boot! Didn't like the nonchalant way Inori draped Shu's hand across her chest either. It's almost as if she likes being used this way. Factors like these just seem to degrade a heroine rather than give reasons to like her. I'm very disappointed.

2. Rest of the cast is flimsy too. Shu now comes off as generic shounen emo kid. Ayase's introduction was poorly handled and Kana Hanazawa just didn't sound right for that characterm even if Hanazawa voices shy characters generally and is shy IRL. Ayane Taketatsu and Tsugumi clashed even more for me with that style of voice - also seemed inappropriate use of catgirl traits in this case. Gai is just a royal prick. I can watch pricks in actions if they have charisma or some redeeming features. Gai has neither. Looks like more trope-style characters coming in the next few episdoes. There isn't a major character with the charisma or magnetism required to steer a show like this. So instead this feels like medium-grade shounen at best.

3. Really beginning to dislike the music - it's just not working for me. The ED theme is okay but I really don't like the OP theme and Inori's singing isn't doing it for me either. The visuals seemed a bit messy this episode - already wondering whether they spent too much budget on making Episode 1 look good.

4. The world setting/plot progression was next to none in Episode 2. Most other shows I continued with really set things straight in their second episodes - their intentions, settings and motivations became clear. Guilty Crown is already wasting time this early...I am not impressed with this.

I guess this show just isn't for me. For those continuing - good luck. I hope you enjoy this show. But I have seen enough to know the character types and style of this show just doesn't sit well with me at all. I'm better off not continuing.

Peace.