View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 08:58   Link #119
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
By your vague interpretation many RPG's are also a VN, because it also has character sprites talking with scrolling texts >_>
You probably have to look at what game element is the most dominent one to somewhat make a conclusion.

IMO gyakutan saiban games are pretty much primarily VN's with some point and click elements and minor puzzle elements, while i think the layton games are rather more a puzzle game with VN elements because it has a story.
Obviously not games with small sprites like rpgs, man. I'm talking about full body sprites that you can't control, they just are there on the screen and talk to each other. And have you ever played an RPG where the main character narrates during gameplay???

Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that Gyakuten Saiban is a visual novel. I have a feeling that Redkey said GS isn't one just because GS doesnt have moe graphics or focus on love or something that has nothing to do with what a VN fundamentally is. I included Professor Layton to get my point across, because it's enough of a visual novel to introduce many non-Japanese gamers to how VNs work.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-01-27 at 09:09.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote