View Single Post
Old 2006-07-24, 12:45   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666

That being said, SHnY is obviously good (it was done by KyoAni and was executed as well as their previous series have been), but that doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable. Personally I found the episode skippage part of it's quirky charm. But then I'm also in the minorest of minorities, I watched the whole thing and didn't particularly love it nor did I dislike it. I found it to be an enjoyable watch with some interesting subplots, but if my choice had been this and another season of FMP!TSR, I'd have taken FMP. Now if my choice is this or a remake of Kanon, I'd take another season of this any day of the week. I thought it started stronger than it ended, but it still ended very well it had a lot of nice touches and nods to it's own continuity. And, most importantly to the author, it made me interested in picking up the novels. Like Higurashi no naku koro ni though, I can't help but feel like there's a much better story contained in the original source material. I mean MUCH better, it has the feel of something that has been compressed a lot to fit in what KyoAni wanted to do.
See, whereas I simply have not been able to get interested in FMP. I don't deny it is good or well executed, it just doesn't work for me. And thats part of the ticket, there's a lot of good anime out there I just don't care for. Example: I'm not a mecha fan.. meaning I won't watch a story just because it has mecha in it. If its a well-written story that happens to occur around mecha I'm fine with it but if half the series is about the mecha transformations or power moves I'm outtahere.

IT IS REALLY OKAY TO NOT LIKE A STORY AND ACCEPT THAT IT IS WELL MADE.
One doesn't have to trash it to feel better. On the other hand, a story full of plot holes or characters that behave so erratically that you think the producers are using a random line generator for dialog should be labeled for what it is -- junk.

Higurashi and SHnY are both attempts to do something unusual and creative using some what appears to be really excellent source material. So you have to give the "Peter Jackson award for a really entertaining try" medal to them both.