View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 19:36   Link #26027
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
It's not clear if the GM knows everything that goes on in their particular game. There is, however, evidence to support the idea that they do:
  • Beatrice never seemed to have a problem keeping everything under control.
  • Lambda never seemed all that surprised by anything Erika tried to pull, and the MF19YA thing seems to come from nowhere unless she knew about it going in.
  • Battler shows curious flashes of insight that suggest he knows Erika's going to pull a Logic Error and wants her to. First, Genji/Ronove mentions the concept to him. Second, he repeatedly offers her detective authority and is rebuffed, and if he's not a complete idiot he has to know there's only one reason for her to reject it. Third, he offers Erika retroactive moves (already unusual and certain to provoke a Logic Error) and the exact number of moves she needs to "trap" him, no more and no less.
Taken together, it seems like GMs can't simply be blindsided by the actions of pieces, but there's no hard rule that proves it. However, there is also the possibility this isn't the case (Lambdadelta, for example, would have to know everything to GM ep5 under this idea).

Either way, Genius Battler doesn't specifically require that Battler knew Erika would put him into any particular Logic Error or that she would do so at any particular time, but his entire game seemed designed around baiting her. Blatantly permitting faked deaths while she didn't have absolute observation being an obvious "intentional bad move," as she could've destroyed it easily with detective authority and abstained. The only reason for her to abstain is to do something like she actually did. Again, Battler can't possibly not know that.

For me, the single biggest hint as to Genius Battler is that Battler already knew what a Logic Error was while he was in the process of crafting his game. Why would he learn about something so dangerous - mostly offscreen, mind you, as Genji/Ronove basically raises the subject and then we don't see their full discussion - only for Battler to completely ignore it?
I also think Battler wanted to trap himself into a logic error.
After all his purpose in EP 6 wasn't just to show Beato he solved her riddles but also to help chick Beato to 'recover' her memory.

I've also been wondering about the knowledge a GM can have and about how Erika could kill people.

EP 6 more than any other game seems more like an intellectual battle than something really staged.
It's sort of a roleplay. Battler created the scenery and Erika had to move through it. In a roleplay you can't really know what the players will do but generally their options are controlled so that they can't do something that's so totally unexpect the GM won't know how to handle the story anymore (though once we came up with a solution the GM didn't expect... :P).

However that's what Erika is trying to do.

In a game where the player don't really do things but describes his actions Erika tries to use words to trick Battler into thinking she did something when she did something else so that he can't twist the story to stop her.

She did it with the ducktape and also with the checking of the corpses.
However I guess that, if Battler had wanted to continue playing the game, he should have proved Erika 'lied' when she said she killed the others (don't ask me how).

Now, I've no idea if it's possible to prove that Erika lied or made a mistake in believing she killed someone and that therefore her red truth isn't effective (in EP 5 a red truth had been declared ineffective because given by a supernatural agency... maybe there are other ways to invalidate a red truth) but I think those were supposed to be Battler's moves (if game 6 was supposed to contain a murder in his plan the culprit was likely going to be Yasu again...).

I guess even Beato and Lambda could have theoretically been trapped into a logic error... however I guess that differently from Battler, if they were to end up in such situation Lambda could let the human side win (she actually does, allowing Erika declare that the culprit was Natsuhi) while Beato likely wanted Battler to break the illusion of the witch and pin the culprit so she was hoping for Battler to do something that would solve a mystery and force her to resign.

Battler, once cornered by Erika, could have avoided the logic error allowing Erika to win, but he refused the option in order to save the illusion of the witch... and likely also in order to have Beato find a solution for the logic error.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote