View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 20:51   Link #74
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
From what I've read from the comments in the forum, the book also goes extensively into personal monologue and stuff. I've been given the impression that we were suppose to care a lot more about Kiritsugu prior to this arc. His first emotional outburst came as a surprise to a lot of people, myself included. While the story is character driven, not a single person is given the protagonist title, and does a good job spreading the points of views across the board. I think he essentially takes up the mantle with these two episodes, where he was basically just a central figure prior to this point. I feel as though the anime is basically telling me: hey, here's your guy going into the last arc. The second OP and ED makes more sense in this regard, changing from the participants of the holy grail war down to mostly Kitsurugi.
I actually looked up the first few chapters of the manga adaption the other night and with Kiritsugu and Kirei narrating their parts they were suddenly both a lot more sympathetic and I could see what the novel readers are getting at. I think it doesn't help that both of them have been characters that internalize a lot and that there's a good-sized cast to also focus on, even seeing just a couple of chapters from Kiritsugu's point of view made me sympathize with him a lot more, in a sense more than these two flashback episodes have done.

Last edited by wandering-dreamer; 2012-05-14 at 11:57.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote