View Single Post
Old 2013-09-05, 03:36   Link #493
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Personally -- and though this may be ironic to say in this context -- I've always felt a really big difference between "2D Little Sisters" and real life. Like you, I immediately saw through Kirino's tsundere act, and it's the same in other anime or eroge or whatever else. They're "little sisters", but I can only ever see them as love interests in their respective stories because of the "tells" they keep showing. To me, it's not so different from a childhood friend, just that they live in the same house, and there's an added story element of taboo to increase the tension/drama. So rather than be grossed out like "oh, I have a sister and this is just wrong!", I just always see it as an alternate reality where things are different. I try to judge in the context of that reality if the relationship portrayed makes sense and how it's justified.
That's also my view. I was never really bothered by the siblings' aspect of Oreimo, though I am absolutely against incest. If a movie or anime is not claiming indirectly or directly to be an exact representation of a realistic / historical setting I won't really judge it through a "3D-lens". Furthermore, what I find a little bit of funny is the different attitudes of people while judging fiction. You have boatloads of fiction about violence, murder, war, killing, yet most people are not grossed out by that or have morale questions about the plot (I mean James Bond for example not only kills loads of people, but he sleeps with like multiple women in every film ). In contrast, show something like incest and suddenly many people are like "Whoa, that's gross!".