View Single Post
Old 2012-09-01, 21:50   Link #253
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There's no need to explain BRS. It's just one anime. Sometimes shit just happens.
The fact is that many of Okada's more poorly received works have all occurred this year, and you obviously can't blame all of that on Kawamori (which is why I brought up BRS).

I do think that there is sufficient reason to think that Okada's writing quality has slipped recently, and that her overworking herself is part of the reason why. People can disagree with that opinion, but it's hardly an unfounded one.

And it's not mean-spirited, or unwarranted hating, to simply think and say that a writer would be better off scaling back a bit.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you're talking about...
You just quoted it yourself: "Anyway, she felt she overdid it with Zessica as a loser." That's exactly the quote I was thinking of when I wrote what I did about Okada's handling of Zessica.

And that's precisely what many Aquarion EVOL viewers didn't like (even some Amata/Mikono shippers!). Many of us didn't like the heavy Zessica focus given that all of that focus was on how Zessica was an angsting romantic loser (and was going into a spiraling descent).

Now, was the issue in choosing Zessica to be a somewhat tragic heroine, or was the issue with how that idea was executed? I think at least some of the issue was in how the idea was executed.

Okada handled love drama extremely well before (True Tears), so why not this time? Maybe it's because her focus was divided into too many places all at once (due to numerous concurrent writing roles), and that prevented her from giving the love drama of Aquarion EVOL the careful focus that it probably needed in order to come off well.

That sounds like a reasonable notion to me.

Quote:
And what's this plot twist that Okada apparently considered Kawamori have in the story?
The dog thing. I can clarify if you need me to, but you probably don't need me to.