View Single Post
Old 2007-07-29, 21:12   Link #19
Willowwhisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_Usagi_^ View Post
When was Akatsuki formed? Event wise I mean. Does anyone know approximately how old it was at the time of Uchiha massacre?
In the final chapter of the pre-Shippuden Naruto, Sasori states "We haven't done this* since 7 years ago... When Orochimaru left the organization", so from that it can be assumed that Akatsuki is at least seven years old.

*"this" being a gathering of all the members at once.

Curiously, when Orochimaru left Akatsuki (7 years prior to the series) Itachi was already a member, which would've placed his age at around about ten or eleven (he was also a Chuunin at that age). This was also three years prior to slaughtering his own clan, which puts into question the theory that slaughtering his own clan was his 'test' for joining Akatsuki.

This already opens up a few curiousity questions for me, mainly "Why would Akatsuki recruit a Chuunin?" and "How did Itachi perform as a member of Akatsuki without being found out by Konoha?" (and chances are, these questions will never be answered. Personally, it seems to me that Kishimoto accidently fell into a plot hole situation.)

So, Akatsuki was at least three years old before the Uchiha massacre (and Itachi had been a member for at least three years).

As for why I believe Itachi slaughtered his own clan yet spared his brother? In all honesty, I think it was something as simple as an order from Akatsuki. An order which he had no issue with executing.

Spoiler for Spoilers relate to the latest chapters:

Last edited by Willowwhisp; 2007-07-29 at 21:30.
Willowwhisp is offline   Reply With Quote