Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-31, 04:55   Link #15286
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
To clarify my comment on the noblesse oblige, I preferred it because it worked if you were willing to disregard the self-righteous moralism that came with it because it worked, and it kept local communities working/operating. Even if the elite placed themselves in a plane of existence above and beyond the peasantry, at least they were involved enough to keep the peasant world afloat.

The noblesse oblige of these days is an even greater corruption of that self-righteousness now as Vexx says, where the elite force the rest of humanity to abide by their rules and their rules alone. They now believe in a philosophy of absolute lordship now, where their noblesse oblige is to lord themselves over the rest of the people and are "obligated" to "rule" than to "support".
Seriously, that is not noblesse oblige as I know it. N.O as I understand it is something like what Andrew Carnegie or Bill Gates did or is doing.

Cui servire est regnare ("for whom to serve is to rule"). I would like to think that the reverse is also true: To rule is to serve.