View Single Post
Old 2009-07-08, 16:11   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Why is it really all that hard to understand? One can easily empathize with a character enough to really dislike it when said character isn't given a fair shake. While I don't share that sentiment with regards to Sora Kake Girl, it's absurdly easy to see why someone else may do so. You might want to try figuring out why that is so before dismissing any such opinions as nitpicking.
Life isn't fair. Some character don't get the best deal in an anime. People ought to learn to live with it and not bring down the whole show just because their favourite character doesn't get the limelight and the best ending. That's just immature. Also it would help if people would ever convey the why as to them disliking something. I always get that people think it's all just an endless string of "bad writing", but never a reason that makes any sort of sense. Heck sometimes I'm lucky to even GET a reason.

Quote:
Or maybe a lot of people bring up similar complaints because similar issues pop up in the different Surise originals. Really, their anime adaptations have a good track record; quite possibly because the creators are limited in their capability to overindulge themselves. You really shouldn't try to attribute reasons without a lot more evidence for said attribution.
Uh huh.....I'm not convinced. Also ditto.

Quote:
Hah! If I took all Sunrise shows that seriously, My~Hime wouldn't be one of my favorite shows . I think that it's precisely the fact that you can't see the faults in the shows you like that leads to dismiss any such complaints. You really ought to work on that empathy filter.
Oh I can see the faults in the shows, I'm just not in the business of ballooning them into show killing flaws and then pointing them out constantly. That's honestly what it's started to feel like with Sunrise shows. Somebody will say something positive, and then another person will come in with a "But what about the flaws? OMG THE FLAWS! THE FLAWS!" and start nitpicking on the same old things. Granted it's nowhere near as bad with most of their shows as it was with Code Geass, but it strikes me as hard not to notice the consistency of it. People are just way tougher on Sunrise shows then they are on shows from other studios and they think they are experts on the studio for some reason. It's one of the reasons I'm so dismissive of your average gripe or complaint because it's always a been there done that affair. The only thing that is left to the imagination is whether people are going to lump all their concerns under "bad writing" or "this doesn't make any sense". lol.

Quote:
I believe that I pointed out that this "newness" is part and parcel of the problem. While it's an entirely legitimate storytelling technique, it's also easy to mess up, and that's what it seems is happening with Sora Kake Girl.
Uh huh.....can't relate.

Quote:
Nope. The weakness symptomized by the baseball episode is over-indulgence and a lack of self-control. I brought up SHAFT in my earlier post because they fall in the same sort of trap.
And that's partially what makes it so much fun. I recall no rule that said a show as out there (literally) as Sora Kake Girl wasn't allowed to engage in a little self-indulgence. It's part of it's style. I guess either you like it or you don't, but please don't try to make it sound like it's a given that one recognizes this as a flaw.

Edit: Then again maybe it's all simpler and layed out in C.A's post below me. I'm a huge sci-fi junkie and Sunrise is primarily a sci-fi studio, so their shows almost certainly speak more to me then they do to non sci-fi mecha fans. I also know what I'm getting into when I pick up one of their shows, but it seems like a lot of other people don't, even if they honest to god think they do. It like when people watched Code Geass for the shipping and then trounced it when there was no conclusive pairing. I knew that conclusive pairing in a Sunrise series is a rarity and was watching it for more than just that, but other people didn't and thus felt they had been personally slighted by the show somehow. Like it was supposed to have been a given or something that Lelouch made some sort of choice between C.C and Kallen when it was never really about that with their relationships. Who was it that really missed the boat in that situation I wonder? It all comes back to what I said earlier, that people think they are experts on the studio, but really what they usually talk about is barely scratching the surface on either the specific series level or entire works level. It can have a hugely negative impact if ones expectations and prior experiences are not in line with what is being presented.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-07-08 at 16:36.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote