View Single Post
Old 2011-03-22, 01:35   Link #112
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just listened to the English dub trailer.

That honestly sounded a lot better than I thought it would. I can't think of an anime that would be harder to dub into English than this one, as there's simply nothing whatsoever in the North American entertainment world that is like K-On!, so it can be difficult to imagine how these girls should sound in English.

In my opinion, the English dub voices genuinely fit the personalities, which is a minor miracle in Yui's case.

I also don't know why some previous posters on this thread were basically accusing the voice actors here of not emoting enough. I felt that Ritsu's voice actress emoted her lines just fine - any more, and it would have sounded over the top, imo.

Yui sounds slightly reserved compared to her voice in the original Japanese, but again, I'm just amazed that they actually found an English voice that could sound right for that character. Yui is one of the hardest anime characters to translate into an English dub: her personality comes across well in the original Japanese, but it can easily feel very Flanderized and/or inauthentic in English if the voice actress isn't extremely careful.