View Single Post
Old 2011-06-10, 13:52   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
I also don't think Tsuroko had anything to do with Menma's death. That would be completely out of nowhere and would make Tsuroko look really shitty.
I don't think it would be completely out of nowhere. It would help explain why Tsuruko was afraid that Ghost Menma might be out to attack them.

Now, it's possible that Okada gave Tsuruko that line simply to add some diversity of character viewpoints on Ghost Menma being there, and if so, that's fine. Still, Tsuruko is an interesting choice of a character to deliver that line if this is all it is about.

Right now, we have a *very* good idea of how Menma's death affected Jinta, Yukiatsu, and Anaru. That's been developed well.

By comparison, the way Menma's death impacted Tsuruko and Poppo has not been as well-explored. Now, in Poppo's case, he's a bit of a "fifth wheel" anyway. He's the only core cast member in this show not involved in the central romantic conflicts.

But Tusruko is the character that's been left the most understated and the most unexplored, in my view. So, part of me expects to see Tsuruko, and how Menma's death impacted her directly, explored a bit more deeply. Maybe that won't reveal anything particularly dramatic, but maybe it will.

I don't particularly care either way, except that I would like to see Tsuruko's character explored a bit more deeply in any event.

Quote:
And again, theres been nothing to even suggest this, Menma has barely even acknowledged Tsuroko the entire series, which would be weird if she somehow caused her death.
Menma is clearly suffering from a bit of a memory block. How else can you explain her not even remembering what her wish was?

So it's possible that Tsuruko played a role in Menma's death, but Menma doesn't remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, I hope not.

*Snip for space*
I largely agree with you here, but Menma's wish still needs to be addressed, and I'll be disappointed if it's just hand-waved.

Perhaps Menma's wish is for her friends to forgive themselves for how she died (which would be fitting given that tense sense between Menma's mom and Menma's surviving friends), and perhaps such a wish carries a bit more weight if, in fact, her friends did play a bit of an unintentional role in her death...