View Single Post
Old 2007-07-15, 04:49   Link #35
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameha4th View Post
buy the same exact model and transfer only my important files then i`ll switch the old one to the new and return it.
also is this legal??
I don't think mist2123 understood what you were saying because your wording is slightly ambiguous: "switch" could simply mean swapping which device you're using.. however I believe you mean you're going to switch the disks inside the device. The later case is probably not legal, though we would need to know more about your local legal system to know for sure. Technically it is a form of fraud, a minor one but fraud never the less.

Even if you're morally willing to disregard this, bear in mind that hard drives (like most computer equipment) have serial numbers which will be tracked. If you swap the disk there is a chance they will notice. Also keep in mind that simply opening the device can void the warranty, meaning any claim made against it could be rejected (and you would be billed for postage just to find this out).

If you're thinking of employing a "return to vendor" style replacement procedure (where you get the shop to replace the device), you'll have all of the above problems. They'll just be off-set slightly as you won't be dealing with the manufacturer.

If the original device is under warranty, copy the data off and arrange a return it under the warranty procedure for that device. If it isn't you're out of luck and should just buy a new device.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote