Thread: Licensed Katanagatari
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-02, 16:11   Link #88
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
How can you give a novel a bad review, but support the anime? That sounds just plain retarded. If it's a bad plot then there really is nothing there to salvage an anime, even if the animations good. Sure wish I could read the novels for myself so we wouldn't have to rely on one person's crummy review.
Well I'll quote him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C
I think Katanagatari failed for three primary reasons - the schedule, which was a stunt thing involving churning out a book a month for an entire year (and seems to have encouraged him to pad the fuck out of the books with 30 page recaps and write books even when he clearly didn't have a good idea); the structure, where each book has them up against a new sword, and basically locked him into a structure of long on the road conversation followed by introduction of the new sword wielder and sword and then a brief action scene to recover it; and the two lead characters, who have to be the two most boring people he's ever created, and who have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever.
Obviously the anime won't be having the equivalent of 30 page recaps... Anyway later on when he posted that Kata cm on his blog.

Quote:
I wound up being ultimately really disappointed in the novels, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll work much better animated. Production values look better than expected, and I dig that they've stuck so closely to take's art style.
Some stuff can work better in a different medium.. and most adaptions are changed in some manner anyway.. Also Katanagatari is generally regarded as the weakest series that Nisio has done (12 books in 12 months is probably why), his others being Bakemonogatari and his first (and seems to be his best) series in Zaregoto.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote