View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 01:25   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I thought that surreal just means something which alter your sense of reality and will forever change the audiences view point about the world ?
I was just trying to explain why Ikuhara, or any other director/writer might rely on surrealist elements as a story-telling device. The use of non sequitur, unexpected juxtapositions, symbolism, and basically all sort of illogical shit, serves to break the narrative and distance the viewer from the plot. Why? So that the viewer may pay more attention to the themes behind it. This sort of story-telling is basically the opposite to the classic narrative style (think Hollywood or any "normal" anime), which strives to make the viewer immerse themselves into the plot and characters as much as possible, to the point they might lose sight of the themes (if there's any). Of course the classic approach is a lot more entertaining and a lot more cathartic for the viewer.

But you said you got my point so I don't know why I'm posting all this stuff. Don't mind me, I'm just an idiot .

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-11-26 at 01:56.