View Single Post
Old 2012-05-16, 09:17   Link #16
novalysis

Which led to quite a fair-size discussion- the Genderbending of Hyou-ka was just a concept dropped in right in the middle of it. Now, of course, if that conversation got out to other places....

But the gist of it was to imagine Houtarou as a variant of a Nagato/Rei Expy (which was the closest fit to his apathetic nature, complete with an emotionless voice), and Eru as a Rich bishounen instead of a wealthy Ojou.

Odds are, it'll be Eru who is seen as rude, and Houtarou's behavior as merely a defensive mechanism to maintain personal privacy.

Edit: Found the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Reverse the genders and look at it from that perspective. It will probably help erase the "Beauty Can Do No Wrong" bias.

Cheers.
And yes, I admit, I suggested the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The Genderbending of Hyou-ka.....

Yes, I think I can see where this is going.

Male Eru would certainly be reviled as a Stalkerish, overly-rich, spoiled brat who demands the attention of poor, harassed, introverted Female Houtaro, who would be a more snarkier , unique take of the same character archetype popularized by Rei Ayanami, and reinforced in recent times by Yuki Nagato. Genderbend Houtaro at his most apathetic, and imagine a dead-pan, quiet voice, and you'd get a similar character. Haters of this show would then be tarring Hotarou as Yuki Nagato boring Expy 99245 instead of Generic Harem protagonist 33563.

And Doujin authors would be hard at work exaggerating and sexualizing those tendencies to their logical conclusion.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-05-16 at 09:28.