View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 19:28   Link #21
Ultramarinus
Disputatio exaro nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
Well, reality isn't very far from that, given even going-to-be-food animals need to eat, there are often crop fields only existing to produce food for the going-to-be-food animals, so starting from oatmeal(or other crops) you get to most of all the other kind of elaborated foods (i'm oversimplifying things here).
Well, it all comes from the soil but through the processes, they end up being carbon-hydrates, proteins, amino acids and so on. I guess they can engineer it heavily, but the scene needed that kind of explanation. You cannot manage a healthy diet just with today's version of oatmeal, people would riot eating just that anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I suspect in the cities most people eat processed foods and don't really think or care about what they're eating so long as it's plentiful. Where the professor was out in the sticks and might be among the few to have access to 'real' foods.

You only have to look at the horsemeat scandal to realise how people are buying food that's not what it says on the box, this is how people are unware of where their food comes from. It's easy to extrapolate that to cheap plentiful synthetic food made out of hyper-oats.
Eh, I really don't see how people are alright with eating merely oatmeal, unless there's some heavy taste engineering. Like making its texture and taste like meat or fruits. But the amount of processing that much would be costlier than outright producing the real versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's not that surprising. A surprising amount of food in America is some variation of corn. With genetic engineering advances, who knows what kinda culinary things you could manage.
This is a rather different situation though, I'm rather willing to believe that they can engineer the DNA and process after harvest but hopefully that expert in the next episode will elaborate on how they do it.