View Single Post
Old 2004-10-28, 23:05   Link #14
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasuto.
I don't want to sound rude but you doesn't seem to know China has been using simplified for a long time. It is the proper way to write, period.
The simplified Chinese only came into existence in 1949 as the Chinese Government simplified some Chinese characters in the hope of reducing the illiteracy within China. Personally though, I'd say simplified Chinese looks less pleasing from an aesthetic point of view.

Quote:
If you find yourself unable to read a lot of traditional because you're familiar with simplified, I suggest it's the otherwise -- you aren't familiar with simplified at all and therefore unable to to read the traditionals.
The converse is true for my case, I'm able to read simplified without much trouble because I'm familiar with the traditional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
I'm not saying that simplified Chinese is not a proper way of writing Chinese, and I do agree that it makes writing more efficient. But since I'm a traditionalist, I prefer traditional writing more. Besides, traditional Chinese just looks better, especially in Chinese calligraphy.
I also happen to like traditional writing more than simplified, perhaps as a result of learning the former at a young age.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote