View Single Post
Old 2010-01-23, 12:07   Link #33
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
How far did you want them to take off on a new tangent?
Deviate too far and Movies 2nd and 3rd won't be A's and Strikers at all.
We already have A's and Strikers, and both series most can agree are fairly decent to great. There isn't too much that can be done to improve things; maybe a slightly better final battle in A's, and a bit of development for some of the characters in Strikers (or ones that didn't even show up!), but that can't be done with a movie rehash.

But to give some examples of what I thought they could do with this movie:

They partly did this by giving Precia a more sympathetic backstory, and showing that it wasn't entirely all her fault. This gave them wiggle room to actually redeem her. Think about a situation where Nanoha helps Fate *and* Precia become a family again. I could see Precia activating the seeds, but then using all her magic to stop it. She becomes magic-less, but actually decides to become a real mother to Fate. though she'll have to do things to make up for her crimes, which means Fate will join the Bureau to help out. Sets up an interesting future plot, because Precia would know things that someone doesn't want known.

Or perhaps Nanoha, Yuuno, Arf, Chrono, and maybe Lindy all get sucked into the jewel seed disturbance. They end up at Alhazard or someplace else. Would make an interesting staging point for the next movie.

Seeing more a couple more Yuuno vs. Arf fights in the style of the new Nanoha vs. Fate fights, would have been nice (note that I'm not sure if the movie actually has any). I'm not sure how much characterization he got, but it sounds like the movie was pretty much Nanoha and Fate. Everyone else got horribly reduced or eliminated. But it might be nice to see some more rivalry between them.

Arisa and Suzuka - Hey, maybe actually give them some limited magic powers, have them discover Nanoha's secret by the end of the movie (or she tells them).

This would make A's a whole different, interesting experience.

Shipping issues - although they are only nine-years-old right now, a succession of movies can actually do something to address these as they age.

Given what I know of Iluna's list, and the TV series, this will probably be the first anime movie I watch raw. I don't even need to know what they are saying, to follow the plot very well. It's just a touched-up rehash.

To be clear, I will admit that it is a nice rehash(sort of a Director's Cut), and I will see it when I can, I'm just left with the feeling for something new. I think it might have been more interesting as a 2-part OAV of Precia and Fate's back story; that's about all that's new. We have 10 years between A's and Strikers; there has got to be some interesting movie material there.