Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Overlord Season 3
View Single Post
Old 2018-10-04, 15:49   Link #1008
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
No one is demanding Ainz to act morally, we all knew he was evil from the get go. The issue arose with some people insisting Ainz was in the right for all the evil things he was doing.
Ainz doesn't need to be right, he just need to be BETTER.

There are many things Ainz does wrong, but there are two notable improvements he bring into the world;
1. He sees absolutely everyone as equals. Equally worthless, yes, but equal none the less.
2. More importantly, he doesn't see himself as inherently superior. This is more blatant in future volumes, but I hope i am allowed to say that Ainz is prepared to submit himself to servitude if he ends up meeting an enemy too strong for him. That he is fully knowing his power is the only thing keeping him on top. That there was no moral right at all for him to be above others.

Ainz does not believe in Manifest Destiny. He is not a Chosen One, no one granted him the right to rule. What he gain, he can easily lose. His followers obviously worships him, but he doesn't let that affect his own views.

And what view is that? The view that you need power. Not power for its own sake, but you need power to have anything at all. Yes, you can use power to do evil, but you can do evil with anything. Power is what gives one to even have an opinion, to have a voice, to make decisions. To be righteous is fine and dandy, but without power to back it up, righteousness is just empty platitudes.

Thus, the last three seasons was Ainz doing what he needed to do to gain power. And he will continue to gain power. He will do many things that are not righteous in the process, but so long as no higher authority tried to stop him, he will continue. For as long as he is the strongest, he will not bend the knee. It isn't fair, but you need power to make things fair.