Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-04, 00:06   Link #16986
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure that's because he can't relocate the prisoners detained there.

Reason why he can't do that is because no one wants to take them in, not even America's toughest prisons, because these people are (supposedly) the most dangerous individuals on earth (which I tend to believe is a gross exaggeration, not to mention that a lot of them might not even be what they're said to be).
Barack Obama is the Commander-in-Chief of the American military forces. He has all the authority he needs to relocate the Guantanamo prisoners to some military penitentiary within the borders of the United States. If necessary, he could re-open some retired army base and put them there. What's Congress going to do? Take him to the Supreme Court? I think they'd lose that appeal.

Obama has been very inconsistent as C-in-C. He's not averse to authorizing the assassination of foreign "terrorists" including in the most recent case a native-born American citizen. Actions like these generally garner him support in contemporary America. Yet he's not been willing to take on Congress directly over things like the Guantanamo prisoners. He got the brass to endorse the ending of "don't ask, don't tell." He can't seem to get anybody to help him relocate those prisoners.