Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll iDOLM@STER the anime (and spin-offs)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-19, 02:06   Link #1856
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinku no kage View Post
I thought that I'd calm down after a few hours but this song still gets to me...I had to try really hard not to cry at work when I played the song back in my head. (T^T)

I do hope that "Yakusoku" will be "Chihaya's song" from now on rather then "Aoi Tori" and/or "Me ga au toki".(this is in my mind ofcourse) Not that I'm saying that "Aoi Tori" and "Me ga au toki" are bad songs, if anything they are great songs that for me has represented Chihaya well over the years. But with this song I think that there is an opportunity for Chihaya to change.
Chihaya's absolute current character song is actually "Nemuri Hime" (lit. Sleeping Princess, which is the Japanese title for Sleeping Beauty). While "Aoi Tori" is a sad song that's roughly about having hope for the future but still being trapped in the past, "Nemuri Hime" is about someone whom had broken free of past burden and literally woken up from nightmares and moving forward. A lot of the fans were actually anticipating "Nemuri Hime" as the feature song for episode 20, but instead we got the new song "Yakusoku". "Yakusoku" is a good song and they did well because the lyrics ties in better with the anime story where the other idols support Chihaya, whereas "Nemuri Hime" is about her standing tall and strong by herself. "Nemuri Hime" is also a beautiful song - very grand with excellent orchestral music backup, feels very different to "Yakusoku". But either way the transition from "Aoi Tori" to either "Nemuri Hime" or "Yakusoku" is a reflection of Chihaya's situation, and I think they should be listened to as a pair for the full meanings hidden in the lyrics.

The live version of "Nemuri Hime" is absolutely beautiful, Imai Asami is really channelling Chihaya in her performance.

houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote