Thread: Licensed Thermae Romae
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-27, 15:18   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Roman Empire, conquering and uniting the known world with legions, law and the bath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Throughout the show I've thought there's a subtle satirical undertone about technological borrowing. The Japanese are traditionally seen by Westerners as have borrowed their technologies then improved upon them. It's amusing to see the tables being turned here with Japan as the source of technological and cultural innovation.
There's definitely an element of satire, but I don't feel it's quite along those lines. It's more like a timely reminder of the simple wonders of home that are so often taken for granted.

To put it another way, it takes a foreigner to tell me why he or she loves Singapore — for its law and order, its cleanliness, its relatively low level of crime and its high level of racial tolerance — where I would see an suffocating bureaucracy, littering by uncouth seniors, kickbacks in high places and a simmering envy of filthy-rich high-rollers from abroad.

At a time of such low levels of national self-confidence in Japan, it's great to see something like this. A nation that can still laugh at itself is a nation that can find the will to rise and rise again.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote