View Single Post
Old 2007-04-14, 04:37   Link #87
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
As for defragging, go ahead and do it. Defragging a drive isn't a big deal.
If done only once and not several times in a row.

Quote:
Sure, the drive is kept busy with activity for a few hours, but who cares? Do you think the drive isn't working when you're listening to music, or playing a video game?
The drive is working there too, but if one listens carefully, there are many breaks for the drive (timeslots where it is unused or only lightly used). Usually a game or music doesn't constantly use the full bandwidth of the drive.

Quote:
You're worrying way too much about breaking your hard drive. This reminds me of my girlfriend - she had this thing about keeping windows open, because her mother had passed on a belief to her that if you didn't, you'd suffocate. Better damn well bet that in New York we keep our windows closed tight and insulated during the winter, when's the last time you heard of one of us suffocating? For that matter, when has anyone suffocated in a house or car due to keeping the windows closed (excluding if they were working with sulfur, or carbon monoxide)? Exactly, never. So I put the same to you: when's the last time you heard of someone breaking their hard drive from using it for extended periods of time? Exactly, never. So quit worrying.
Well I think that comparison does not fit quite well. Because constant stress can harm a drive. Though I neither want a person to overreact about it or completely ignore it... One has to know which applications actually harm a drive.
I've seen, that some of my friends killed their drives by using early BT clients (or similar download tools), that did not have options like file preallocation, or caches. They fragmented their drives with these tools to an extent, that sequential reading/writing on that drive became impossible. In an attempt to defrag such a cluttered up drive (which takes usually several days) some (!! not all or many... some) of them killed their drives. (If one has enough space, it is better to copy all files to another drive (but no diskimaging or things like dd - because they will keep the files fragmented when copying). Then formating the drive, and then copying the files back... the copy function of e.g. windows explorer tries to write as sequential as possible - depends on the fragmentation of the drive where the file is written to).

So what is the conclusion? If you defrag your drive often, the sustained stress per defragmentation is low, thus the probality that it will take harm in the process is low too. If one doesn't defrag a drive for years, and it is very fragmented as a result (>50% overall fragmentation / >75% file fragmentation), then one might want to try the copy method instead (if it is the system drive that is to be copied, then there is more that need to be taken care of, but I don't want to get too much into details now)

In your case Migufuchi Fusutsu, I say, do the defragmentation. I mean you can halt it anytime you want. You just should not work on the PC while it is defragmenting. And if it is not done after 2 hours give it a little break (just so that it cools down back to normal temperatures it usually operates on... needs like 15 minutes I assume) and then let it proceed.

Quote:
Unless there's something wrong with your motherboard's RAM slots, it shouldn't make one bit of difference. If you want to get technical, I can give you some very specific situations where it could make a difference. But I think most of us here have been giving you very technical "but this could happen" scenarios, and you're getting stressed out over them. So, if you want to know, go ahead and ask. But otherwise, know this: the answer is no, it doesn't matter.
Thats the real problem here. Migufuchi Fusutsu, you should not be frightened of the things that might happen. One can be careful, but to be paranoid about the things doesn't help either. The hdd is build to take some stress. Its just, that the risk that it fails will be higher, if the sustained stress is going on for a long period of time (without a break).

Quote:
Someday you'll gain confidence over them, and you'll be helping people with their computers. These are the first steps you take. There's nothing wrong with being afraid of tinkering with the computer when you don't fully understand how it works, especially since we put so much of ourselves into the computer and require it for many daily functions. Just don't be afraid to move forward, and remind yourself that no matter what happens with it, it's not the end.
Thats right, doing nothing means, one doesn't actively make errors (but does not learn something either).