View Single Post
Old 2006-08-03, 12:41   Link #23
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
As an encoder, I don't see a need for VFR in non-AVC avi encodes unless the ED is really ****ing amazing.
I'll assume we're talking raws here.

I really fail to see the point in 120fps AVI. Bear in mind that DVB streams are 29.97 CFR, so it's barely different from dealing with DVDs.

Now it could be that the raw capper has somehow obtained a 29.97fps raw, and has gone through and decimated the sections correctly, resulting in a hybrid framerate. I think it's pretty much given that there will be an MKV timecode generated somewhere along the line, what with the tools that exist. If this is the case, what is the point in creating an AVI with null frames rather than a true hybrid framerate MKV? You are using a less efficient format to kick off with, and then you go adding null frames (which still add to the filesize a little). It's crackers.

"Proper" VFR is good whether you have an ED worth saving or not. Just remember that a big chunk of anime is low framerates, and there are plenty of identical frames. Instead of using VFR to make hybrid 29.97/23.976 sections, you can use VFR to decimate identical frames. In the high framerate areas, the full motion will be preserved, or places where you have a static image over 20 frames or so, instead of coding an I frame for instance and the following 19 being P and B frames, it will allow you to code a single I frame and hold it for 20 frames in total (20 frames is sane limit imposed by DeDup, however you can modify the source and compile it for yourself, like Coderjoe and I had done).

Even if you are only saving a few hundred bytes per frame, it adds up when you get into the high thousands, and it all counts.