View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 09:23   Link #211
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
They also do some really shady and despicable things. If we're to hate the humans for what they're doing to their children and to other species, why shouldn't we hate the bakenezumi for what they do to their own kind and what they're about to do to another species? Genocide is no-no for humans but A-OK for bakenezumi?

The same place where our humanity is? Look at our history and look at what is going on right now in so many places in the world. Even if us, personally, are disgusted and horrified by all the shit our kind has done over the centuries and millennia, we're still the products of the civilizations our ancestors have built, and we, as a human race, continue to do horrifying shit to this day. Maybe not us, personally - but then even in SSY not all people are "in" on the mechanics of their society. The humans in SSY are still humans. They have our worst qualities and our best qualities.

Look at all those WMDs we have created...
I have never said that queerats are the goods and humans are the evils, I simply traced in my opinion who is who. So if you look for some behavior resemblances is better to look to the right side. My point implied taht they are despicable as much as we are and has been, as you pointed out. Not to imply that we should sympathize with them.
Look at them, queerats real power exists only under certain specific conditions. Queerats power exists and can stand a chance only if you consider the rats as a whole and not as single entities. But to gain that power you need someone who is able to unify them, to use/take advantage of their desires, their needs and their fears, and ultimately to lead them against something that is far more powerful than they are. Their stake here is their own existence, it's a do-or-die call. The WMD also fits perfectly as analogy rats=humans, they "gained" a WMD and their next thought is to mass-produce them. And we failed in see that coming because we still see them as rats
On the other side of the wall the humans are the opposite, each entity has enough power to wipe the queerats out alone, they don't need anything than the will of just one of them to effectively kill them. They don't need to organize themselves, nor to be convinced to do anything. They had nothing at stake, if not as of late. So (using an hyperbole) to me, in this story, they are humans as much as I'm when ants invade my kitchen an I try to exterminate them using insecticide. (And I don't think it is a point of the story). Just until now. But not because they are humans after all, but because queerats are not ants
But again, I don't care if you sympathize for one side or the other. This story is not about goods and evils (I know I don't need to say you that). If matters to me it's, or should be, a matter of smartness. So ultimately, of evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Hence the full tagline, "Fight against the false gods, Squealer is the One True God"? XD;; (Reminds me of Robespierre and his "Cult of the Supreme Being"... XD)
Well, if you ask me it follow more the self-determination principle, if you need a false god, well better you choose one by yourself than imposed by someone else.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.