View Single Post
Old 2010-12-09, 10:36   Link #19597
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I think you mean we hope there will be some kind of should-have-seen-this-coming resolution. It's equally probable at this point that we will get a "That's it, huh..." ending (at least for a portion of the reader base).
Yeah. Because I have no faith in his writing ability I have followed this story for a few years now and I think there's only a 50/50 chance. Right.
Quote:
Granted, it's probably impossible to please everyone. But he's catered to, teased at, and thrown out shout-outs to mystery fans the whole way through the story. To turn around and tell them they were barking up the wrong tree is a bit more than a betrayal of those readers. It's basically teasing them for liking the genre the author pretended to like too.
When I saw the Taiwan epitaph theory for the first time I knew it was probably the answer because it was so much better than any other epitaph theory I had seen. After seven episodes why is there no culprit theory that is a clear frontrunner? Do you believe that his 'answer' is that good/bad?
Quote:
There's a lot of things ryukishi can get away with in the name of literature, but there's a remarkably small number of things he's actually set himself up to permissibly get away with. A "no culprit, it was a coincidental and tragic accident spun out of hand" ending is not impossible, but he hasn't properly established the literary framework to make it acceptable. So yes, I think some people would be rightfully disappointed, and I don't think it's because they're looking at things in some shortsighted or incorrect way.
Whatever. I don’t care for the ‘no culprit theory’ either but it seems to be the direction he’s heading considering how Battler began telling the tale to Ange at the end of EP7.

How about the wedding with everyone present at the end of episode 6? "Oh hey, I know you killed us all but we can be friends now." Awkward.